Advisor: Prof. Izhak Bucher
Full CV – LINK
Office: Lady Davis Building 366
- Structural dynamics, vibration
- Near-field acoustic levitation
- Signal Processing
- Fluid-structure interaction dynamics
Acoustic levitation and propulsion of silicon wafers: accurate positioning rotation and traveling wave based transportation
Photograph of an experimental setup capable of producing flexural waves of different qualities (standing waves to traveling waves), on an annular plate. This apparatus is capable of levitating and rotating a carried object without contact. Moreover, by controlling the quality of the flexural waves produced on the annular plate, it is possible to accurately position the carried object. (Demonstrations are presented in the movies section)
An acoustic levitation device, operating at its second axisymmetric flexural mode. The sand stays at the nodal diameters.
A small mass, levitated above an ultrasonically oscillating driving.
A 200 mm silicon wafer, levitated and propelled using traveling flexural waves produced on an annular plate.
Non-contacting accurate angular positioning of a levitated object, using flexural waves, produced on an annular plate. In order to control the angle of the handled object, the presented device produces flexural waves of different qualities (standing waves to traveling waves) according to the error between the wanted angle and the measured angle. (A plot describing the time response of the levitated object appears in the pictures section).
Demonstrating closed loop control of 3D DOF of an acousticly levitated wafer. (No contact)
- Wei, Bin, Ran Shaham, and Izhak Bucher. “Theoretical investigation and prototype design for non-parallel squeeze film movement platform driven by standing waves.” Tribology International (2017).
- Gabai, R., Ilssar, D., Shaham, R., Cohen, N., & Bucher, I. (2017). A rotational traveling wave based levitation device–Modelling, design, and control. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 255, 34-45.
Refereed papers in conference proceedings
- I. Bucher*, D. Ilssar, R. Gabai, N. Cohen, R. Shaham and S. Davis, Controlled acoustic levitation – physical model and real-time digital implementation, IEEE International conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Banff Alberta Canada, July 2016.